Asparagus with rapeseed hollandaise
This elegant starter recipe was created exclusively for Lidl by Scottish chef Tony Singh. Showcasing some of our finest Scottish ingredients, it's also a fantastic way of learning how to make hollandaise sauce yourself.
- For the Hollandaise sauce, whisk the egg yolks with a squeeze of lemon juice, vinegar and seasoning in a bowl, set over a pan of simmering water.
- Beat vigorously for about 10 mins until the mixture thickens. To prevent the sauce overheating, take it on and off the heat while you whisk, scraping the sides of the bowl with a spatula.
- The sauce should be thick and creamy, which leaves trails in the sauce when the whisk is lifted out.
- Warm the Rapeseed oil in a pan, then set aside.
- Off the heat, gradually add a little of the warmed oil a little at a time to the egg mix.
- Repeat until all the oil is incorporated and the sauce has a thick, mayonnaise-like consistency.
- Whisk in the remaining lemon juice to taste, and season with salt and pepper. Then add the chopped chives and a dash of water to loosen the consistency.
- Blanch the asparagus by plunging it into boiling salted water for 1-2 mins until its rawness has been removed but it is still crunchy.
- Drain well and plate with a rosette of smoked salmon at the bottom of the spears. Spoon the Hollandaise sauce over the dish.