Forget stuffed peppers – these loaded aubergines make a lovely light summer meal, and are a healthier spin on Mediterranean moussaka.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ 180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Place the aubergines cut-side up in a roasting tray and brush with oil. Season and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the lentils for 10 minutes. Fry the onion, courgette and spices in 1 tablespoon of oil for 3 minutes, then stir through the tomato purée.
- Add the lentils, chopped tomatoes, seasoning and 50ml water. Simmer, stirring frequently, for 3–4 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and score the flesh lengthways, pushing down with the back of a spoon. Preheat the grill.
- Top the aubergines with the lentil filling and halloumi. Grill until golden and crisp, serving with salad.