Beetroot vegan burgers with pumpkin seed pesto
Additional time information:
This hearty vegan burger recipe was created by barbecue expert Helen Graves, and is packed with flavour and crunch. Scale up the pumpkin seed pesto to have leftovers for using as a topping for salads or even pasta.
- Cook the rice for 20 minutes, until beginning to disintegrate. Allow to cool, then mash with a fork.
- Fry the garlic and shallots in the oil for 3 minutes to soften. Stir in the spices and cook for 2 minutes on low, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine the shallots with the beetroot, rice, breadcrumbs, walnuts and salt. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Carefully shape the mixture into patties. Grill over a gentle direct heat for 10 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Meanwhile, making the pesto by pulsing all the ingredients in a blender to form a rough paste.
- To assemble, layer up the lettuce, burgers and red onion slices in each bun, finishing with a drizzle of pesto.