The recipe for this sweet, fruity loaf cake comes from a member of our My Lidl community, tommiesgirl, and is a favourite in her house: ‘I make this cake frequently for school fêtes as well as for family and friends. It’s like my version of malt loaf and its really easy to make!’
- Place the Bixies in a bowl and pour over the milk to cover. Cover with cling film and leave to soak in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C/gas mark 3.
- To assemble the cake, sift the flour into a large bowl and add the sultanas, sugar and egg. Add the softened Bixies mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Place ingredients in a well greased 1lb loaf tin.
- Bake for 90 minutes, checking after 1 hour – if the cake looks a little dark or is beginning to catch reduce the heat a little and cover with foil for the remaining cooking time.
- Once cooked, leave to cool a little then cut into slices. Delicious served warm and spread with butter or margarine.