Brussel sprouts, crispy cavolo nero and pickled cranberies
Additional time information:
plus 1 week's pickling time
Step up your Christmas meal with this special spin on Brussels sprouts, offering a wonderful mix of textures, colours and flavours. If you can't find cavolo nero use kale instead.
- A week before serving, prepare the pickled cranberries. Place the sugar, vinegar and water into a pan and bring to the boil. Bring off the heat and add the cranberries. Store in a sealed container and keep in the fridge.
- On the day of serving, preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/gas mark 4.
- Spread the sprouts onto a roasting tray with a small slug of olive oil and a pinch of salt. Roast in the oven for 10–15 minutes until tender – some of the outer leaves will begin to colour golden brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool, increasing the oven temperature to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Roughly chop the cavolo nero and toss in olive oil and salt, then spread over a separate tray and roast in the oven for 10–15 minutes, until well cooked. Remove from the oven and leave to cool – it should have a crunchy texture once cool.
- Before serving, reheat the sprouts in a saucepan along with the orange zest, pickled cranberries and crispy cavolo nero. Season to taste and serve immediately.