These Italian biscotti are twice baked until golden and crisp, and make the perfect sweet treat to have alongside a cup of good strong coffee. Once you’ve got the hang of this biscotti recipe try adapting it to include your favourite flavours, such as hazelnuts, cocoa powder or mixed peel.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Whisk the butter, sugar and salt together in a bowl until creamy. Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and almonds and mix together to form a smooth dough.
- Divide the dough in two and roll out into long logs, roughly 3 - 4cm thick. Place the dough on the tray and push each log down a little to flatten.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes. After this time, remove the tray from the oven – keeping the oven on – and leave to cool down for 5 - 10 minutes.
- Slice the logs into 2cm slices and arrange across the tray. Return to the oven and bake for a further 12 - 15 minutes, until crisp and golden.