This carrot soup recipe is cheap and easy to make but, thanks to the process of caramelising the carrots before cooking, tastes impressive enough to serve as a starter on special occasions.
- Add the butter and a dash of olive oil to a large frying pan and sauté the carrots and garlic for 5-10 minutes, until beginning to caramelise. Add the honey and cook for a further 5 minutes, until the carrots are glazed and the pan is nearly dry.
- Meanwhile, place a large saucepan over a medium heat and sweat the onion, leek and celery in a dash of olive oil until very soft.
- Add the chicken stock, water and glazed carrots to the saucepan and simmer for 20 minutes, until the carrots are very soft.
- Once cooked, blend the soup until smooth – for an even smoother texture strain the soup through a sieve. Return the blended soup to the pan and season to taste with salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- To serve, divide the soup between bowls and drizzle over the cream or crème fraîche, if using. Sprinkle over the seeds and serve immediately with some crusty bread on the side.