Ideal for get-togethers with friends and family, these chilli beef nachos combine the traditional flavours of sweet and spiciness you’d expect, together with the addition of chorizo and pickled red onions – giving this sharing sensation a bit a of a twist.
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C fan.
2. For the pickled onions, mix all the ingredients together and set aside to macerate.
3. Heat the oil in a frying pan over a low to medium heat and cook the onions for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and cook for a couple of minutes. Increase the heat to medium high and add the minced beef and diced chorizo and cook for about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the dry spices and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the tomato purée and balsamic vinegar and cook for a minute before adding about 125ml water, lowering the heat to low to medium again and cook for about 5 minutes or until the water has evaporated.
4. Place half of the tortilla chips in an oiled baking dish/tray and top with half of the beef mixture and half of the grated cheddar. Make another layer with the remaining ingredients ending with the grated cheddar.
5. Bake in the oven for about 12-15 minutes until the cheese has melted. Whilst it’s baking, chop the avocados, red chillies and coriander.
6. To serve, sprinkle over the pickled red onions, chopped red chillies, avocado and coriander and drizzle over some sour cream or serve all the accompaniments separately in small bowls for everyone to choose their toppings along with extra hot sauce, if desired and a corn on the cob on the side.