Croissant bread and butter pudding with pear sauce
A twist on a bread and butter pudding recipe, this dish uses buttery croissants instead but you could use any pastries you have that have gone slightly stale. Enjoy this dish all year round by swapping the pear sauce for a compote made from your favourite seasonal fruit.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC /160ºC fan/gas mark 4. Grease a large baking dish with butter.
- Whisk eggs, yolks, sugar and vanilla together in bowl. Add the cream and milk, whisking until incorporated.
- Place the croissant pieces into the baking dish and pour the egg mixture over the top. Stir until evenly covered and leave to rest for 5 minutes.
- Place dish in a larger baking tin and fill halfway up the sides with boiling water. Cover loosely with foil and pierce a couple of holes.
- Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for 35 - 40 more.
- Meanwhile, make the compote. Peel the pears and dice them into 1.5cm pieces. Sauté the pear pieces in the butter for 1 minute, then add the sugar, salt and a teaspoon each of lemon zest and juice and cook for 2 minutes.
- Before serving, whip the cream until stiff and serve alongside the warm pudding.