This hearty Italian meatball stew is filling enough to eat on its own, although you could also serve it with creamy mashed potato, spaghetti or with hunks of crusty bread. Enjoy with a glass of Peuceta Primitivo for the perfect pairing.
- Heat the oil in a large casserole dish and brown the meatballs on all sides until evenly caramelized. Once browned, remove the meatballs from the pan and set aside.
- Discard a little excess fat from the pan, then reduce the heat to medium-low and tip in the onions, carrots and garlic. Stir to coat in oil, put the lid on and leave to sweat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Sprinkle over the flour and cook out for 1 minute, stirring until to coat the vegetables evenly in the flour. Stir in the tomato purée and pesto, then pour in the wine (if using), stirring continuously.
- Still stirring, slowly pour in the stock and add the tomatoes, beans and sweetcorn. Return the meatballs to the pan, stir well and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Bring the sauce up to a gentle simmer and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thickened. Divide between bowls and scatter with fresh parsley to serve.