My Lidl community member homebaker was inspired by the low fat qualities of Goldessa cottage cheese in creating this deliciously crumbly lemon cheesecake recipe, which tastes just as rich and creamy as regular varieties: ‘I would defy anyone to detect that this is made with cottage cheese. It's delicate but firm in texture, nice and lemony and not too sweet.’
- Lightly grease a 9 inch/23cm tart tin.
- Begin by preparing the base. Melt the butter in a small pan and stir in the biscuit crumbs until coated. Press the mixture firmly into the pie plate and up the sides, then chill until very cold (1 - 2 hours in the freezer will work).
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- For the filling, blend the cottage cheese until smooth using a blender or stick processor. If you like, pass the mixture through a sieve to strain out any lumps.
- Whisk in all the egg, condensed milk and the vanilla, then gradually add lemon juice to taste – it should have a tang but not be too sour.
- Stir in the lemon zest and mix thoroughly, until the mixture has a similar consistency to custard or cream. Put the pie dish on a baking tray and pour in the filling. Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for about 20 - 25 minutes until firm and set.
- Once cooked, remove the cheesecake from the oven and allow to cool. Serve with fresh berries or stewed blackcurrants and scatter over citrus peel to garnish.