Mixed nut Aloo Tikki
Preparation time: 15 mins
Created in collaboration with acclaimed chef Tony Singh, this aloo tikki recipe brings a generous amount of herbs and spices together, with a great crunch from the mixed nuts.
- Put the potatoes, whole and unpeeled, into a pan just big enough to hold them, along with the turmeric and a generous pinch of salt and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then simmer until very tender. Drain and return to the pan to steam dry for 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan over a medium heat and then fry the onion until soft and beginning to caramelise. Stir in the ginger, garlic, chili and spices and fry for 1 minute. Stir in the nuts and dried fruit and cook for a further minute.
- Peel the potatoes, then mash well and add to the frying pan. Stir in the lime juice and two tablespoons of the flour, mixing well and seasoning to taste.
- Roll the mixture into golf-ball sized portions, then flatten into patties. Dust the patties on all sides with the remaining flour.
- Heat a generous splash of oil in a large frying pan and shallow fry the patties in batches until golden brown, flipping to cook both sides evenly. Serve warm with chutney and salad