Pea and potato Madras with raita
An easy vegetable curry that’s quick to prepare and full of flavour. The raita recipe makes the dish extra special, and is perfect for offsetting the heat for any family members that are less keen on spice.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, frying gently for 8 - 10 minutes until soft and lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, bring a pan of water to the boil and add the potatoes. Boil for 8 minutes, until just tender, and drain.
- Add the ginger to the pan with the onion and sprinkle over the dry Madras spices. Cook until toasted and fragrant, then add the potatoes and stir to coat before adding the Madras sauce.
- Half-fill the jar with water and pour this into the pan. Mix well, then stir in the tomatoes and simmer for 10 - 15 minutes until reduced and thickened.
- Meanwhile, prepare the raita. Stir the yoghurt, cucumber and lime together, seasoning to taste with a good pinch of salt.
- Add the peas, simmer for a final minute and serve immediately with a sprinkling of coriander and a dollop of raita on the side.