Phirni with strawberry compote
Preparation time: 25 mins
Additional time information:
Plus soak and chill time
Creamy and sweet, this phirni recipe with strawberry compote was created together with acclaimed chef Tony Singh.
- Place the rice in a bowl and just cover with water. Soak for 3–4 hours.
- Meanwhile, make the compote. Cook the strawberries in the sugar, vanilla and 1 tbsp water until soft, then tip into a sieve. Reserve the drained juice and divide the cooked strawberries between serving dishes.
- Blend the soaked rice to make a paste. Heat the milk until boiling in a pan, then add the sugar and rice paste and simmer.
- Mix in the nuts and vanilla, cooking until thickened. Remove from the heat and divide between the serving dishes, then chill for at least 2 hours.
- Before serving, thicken the strawberry juice in a pan for 5 minutes and drizzle over the phirni.