Recreate the classic French side dish at home with this super-simple potato dauphinoise recipe. Serve alongside a hearty beef bourguignon, or as an alternative to roast potatoes as part of Sunday lunch.
- Place a large, shallow ovenproof dish on the hob and arrange the potato and onion slices (if using) inside.
- Season generously, then add the garlic, nutmeg, bay leaf, cream, thyme and half the Parmesan. Gently mix to combine.
- Pour over the hot stock and cook on a medium heat with the lid on for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, remove the lid and sprinkle the top with the remaining cheese. Transfer to the oven and bake for a further 15 minutes until golden.