Slow-cooked curried lamb with red lentils
This delicious slow-cooked lamb recipe is super filling thanks to the spiced lentils, although you could serve it with rice or warm flatbread to make the dish go even further. It will adapt well to a slow-cooker, too – cook for 3–4 hours on high or 6–7 hours on low.
Enjoy this dish with a glass of Cepa Lebrel Rioja Reserva.
- Place the lamb into a bowl with 10g of the tikka curry spice and mix well until evenly coated.
- In a casserole dish add 1 tablespoon of the sunflower oil and gently cook the onions over a medium-low heat until they soften. Add the garlic, chilli, ginger and remaining tikka curry spice, reduce the heat, and continue cooking for about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, lentils, water and season with a pinch of salt and a good grind of black pepper. Bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining oil in a frying pan and cook the lamb until sealed all over. Transfer to the casserole pot and give everything a good stir, then cover with a lid and leave to simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2–2 ½ hours on a low heat.
- Once the lamb is cooked through and really tender, taste the sauce and adjust seasoning if required. Stir through the fresh coriander and serve immediately.