Our easy scone recipe is the perfect base for your own additions, whether you have a sweet tooth or prefer the cheesy savoury variety. If, like us, you find it hard to choose between them try splitting the mix and making a half batch of each.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Sieve the flour into a bowl and add the baking powder, salt and butter. Rub the butter into the dry ingredients using the tips of your fingers, until the mixture has the texture of fine breadcrumbs.
- For sweet scones: add the sugar and raisins to the bowl and mix well, then slowly add the milk a spoonful at a time, mixing to bring everything together into a soft dough.
- Roll out across a floured surface and use a cutter or glass to cut out 5cm scones. Arrange across a greased baking tray and cook for 10-12 minutes, until an even pale gold in colour.
- For cheese scones: add the cheddar and a pinch of paprika to the bowl and stir, then gradually add the milk until the mixture comes together to form a soft dough.
- Roll out across a floured surface and cut out rounds of dough using a 5cm cutter or similar sized glass. Arrange across a greased baking tray and top with the grated Parmesan and another pinch of paprika. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until golden and cooked through.