Preparation time: 20 mins
Created by plant-based chef Gaz Oakley, try this vegan moussaka recipe when those winter nights draw in. Serve with two portions of your favourite vegetables.
- Begin with the ragu. Blitz the mushrooms and walnuts in a food processor until fine and set aside. Fry the onion, garlic and celery in a saucepan for 3 minutes to soften, then add the spices and season well. Cook for a further few minutes, then add the mushrooms and walnut mix.
- Cook for 10 minutes, until the mushrooms have released their water, then add the chopped tomatoes, purée and a splash of water. Simmer for 15 minutes with the lid on.
- Meanwhile, slice the aubergine, courgette and sweet potato into 2cm slices lengthways, then fry until golden. Leave to drain on kitchen paper.
- For the creamy sauce, gently heat the milk, onion and some seasoning over a low heat, stirring occasionally, to infuse the flavours.
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan and mix through the flour, stirring to combine as it cooks. Remove the onion from the infused milk, then whisk through the flour mixture until combined, thick and creamy.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6. To assemble, line a baking dish with the sliced potato, followed by the aubergine and courgette. Top with the ragu and then the creamy sauce. Bake for 35 minutes until golden. Rest for 10 minutes before serving.