|100 g g||butter butter|
|1 tins tin||anchovy fillets anchovy fillets|
|drained and finely chopped|
Anchovy butter makes a delicious alternative to a marinade, adding a uniquely rich, salty flavour when melted over grilled meat, potatoes or steamed vegetables. Any leftovers would be delicious spread across crispbreads as an elegant starter.
- Drain the anchovies and grind in a pestle and mortar (or food processor) with the garlic and lemon juice to form a paste.
- Mix through the softened butter, beating with a wooden spoon until evenly combined.
- Spoon the butter onto a large piece of cling film and roll it up to form a sausage shape. Wrap tightly, then refrigerate until firm.
- Once firm, unwrap the anchovy butter and cut into slices.
- Make individual slabs of butter for a barbecue or dinner party spoon the butter into a clean ice cube tray and chill until set. You could even make different flavours so everyone can choose their flavour. Some of our favourite ideas are:
Garlic butter-combine crushed garlic with finely chopped fresh parsley
Mustard butter- add wholegrain mustard to taste (for extra heat, stir in a little English mustard, too)
Jalapeño - mix chopped coriander with jalapeño sauce to taste