|approximately 900g, sliced lengthways|
|4||red onions red onion|
|wedges of leftover, roast|
|leftover cooked, sliced|
|roasted peppers roasted pepper|
|a leftover or ½ jar roasted red peppers, sliced|
|1 tins tin||tomatoes tomato|
|50 g g||butter butter|
|50 g g||flour flour|
|250 ml ml||whole milk whole milk|
|60 g g||cheddar cheddar|
|200 g g||fusilli fusilli|
|1 tbsp tbsp||dried oregano dried oregano|
|olive oil olive oil|
|for the aubergine|
Aubergine pasta pie with vegetables
This vegetarian pasta recipe will be a welcome relief after a few days of over-indulgence. Packed with roasted vegetables, it’s held together with a cheesy tomato sauce.
- Lay aubergine slices on a grill sheet, season and drizzle with olive oil. Grill for a few minutes on each side. Lie on kitchen paper to soak up excess oil.
- Fry the garlic in a large pan until softened. Add the onion and courgette and sauté for two minutes. Add the peppers and cook on high for a couple of minutes more then add the oregano, and tinned tomatoes. Leave to simmer gently.
- Make a cheese sauce by melting the butter in a pan and adding the flour. Whisk until smooth, then slowly add the milk, a little at a time. Bring to the boil and simmer for five minutes until thick then add the cheese. Stir well until melted. Add to the tomato sauce and stir well.
- Meanwhile, cook and drain the fusilli and stir into the sauce.
- Line a deep wide pan or round ovenproof dish with the aubergine slices, making sure they will be able to fold over the filling. Save some for the top. Fill with the pasta and sauce and cook in the oven fat 180C for 10 minutes.
- Remove and leave to cool to room temperature. Carefully turn out onto a large plate and serve with salad.