|125 ml ml||balsamic vinegar balsamic vinegar||
|30 g g||brown sugar brown sugar||
|1 packs pack||ready rolled shortcrust pastry ready rolled shortcrust pastry||
|200 g g||mascarpone mascarpone||
|100 g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|75 g g||double cream double cream||
|600 g g||strawberries strawberry||
|hulled and sliced lengthways|
|1 handfuls handful||mint mint||
Balsamic strawberry tart
This simple strawberry tart is given extra elegance with a rich balsamic vinegar glaze, which contrasts beautifully with the sweet freshness of the strawberries as well as bringing a beautiful marble effect to the mascarpone cream. Make as the perfect centrepiece to a special lunch in the garden.
- Grease a loose-bottomed 20cm tart tin and line it with the shortcrust pastry, pushing the pastry carefully into the ridges round the edge. Pass a rolling pin over the top of the tin to remove any overhanging pastry, then prick the base with a fork and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the balsamic vinegar with the brown sugar in a small saucepan. Simmer over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and reduces to form a syrupy glaze.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C/gas mark 4.
- Once the tart has chilled, remove it from the fridge and line the pastry with baking paper. Fill with baking beans, if you have them (you can use dried beans or rice if not), and bake for 15 minutes.
- After this time, remove the baking beans and paper and bake for a further 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool while you prepare the filling.
- Using a hand whisk, mix together the mascarpone and icing sugar until combined, then gradually whisk through the double cream to form a thick, slightly stiff creamy mixture. Swirl through 0.5 tbsp of the balsamic glaze to create a marble effect.
- Spoon (or pipe) the mascarpone cream into the cooled tart case and arrange the chopped strawberries on top. Drizzle over more of the balsamic glaze (around 1 tbsp) and garnish with fresh mint leaves.