For the lemon curd
|100 g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|55 g g||butter butter||
For the biscuits
|100 g g||butter butter||
|125 g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|1 tsp tsp||vanilla extract vanilla extract||
|250 g g||flour flour||
|plus extra for dusting|
For the decoration
|1 tbsp tbsp||icing sugar icing sugar||
|2 tbsp tbsp||cocoa powder cocoa powder||
|45 g g||butter butter||
|20||white chocolate chips white chocolate chip||
|Flaked Almonds Flaked Almonds||
Preparation time: 0:45 min
These sweet little biscuits are filled with a tangy home-made lemon curd and are a fun treat to make with the kids.
1. For the lemon curd, finely zest 2 of the lemons, then juice these along with the remaining lemons and measure out 125ml juice.
2. Whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Add the juice and zest to the bowl along with the butter and cook in the microwave at 1-minute intervals, stirring between blasts, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Leave to cool in a sterilised jar.
3. For the biscuits, cream the butter and sugar then add the egg, vanilla and lemon zest. Sift over the flour and fold in, kneading briefly to form a dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill for 30 minutes.
4. Roll out the dough to a 3mm thickness and stamp out 20 x 6.5cm rounds, arranging across lined baking sheets. Stamp 3cm holes in the centre of half the biscuits (these are the tops) and chill again for 30 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180ºC/160ºC fan/ gas mark 4. Bake the biscuits for 16-18 minutes until golden and leave to cool.
6. For the chocolate icing, whisk together the icing sugar, cocoa and butter with 1-1.5 tsp water. Transfer to a piping bag.
7. Spread the bottom biscuits with lemon curd and pipe bee stripes across the top, then sandwich with the biscuit tops. Add white chocolate chip eyes and dot with the chocolate icing. Insert two flaked almonds as wings.