Sweet, creamy and super colourful, this caterpillar cake is our very own version of one of Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch weekend recipes for you to try at home. Whether it’s for a special occasion or a weekend treat, the whole family will enjoy decorating this chocolatey caterpillar with colourful sweets. We’ve suggested ingredients to make this cake, which you can pick up in your local Lidl store.
- Firstly, whisk the eggs and caster sugar for 5 minutes, then add the flour and cocoa powder.
- Spoon into a greased lined 33 x 23 swiss roll tin. Bake at 180C for 10-12 minutes.
- Once cooked, turn out onto a piece of icing sugar dusted greaseproof. Cut out 3 strips on the shorter side of cake to a third of the way up about 2cm wide, reserve for later for the feet. Roll from the uncut side first and cool.
- For the filling, whisk the icing sugar, milk and butter together, then add the chocolate spread to give your cake sweetness.
- To make the coating, melt butter, double cream for richness and the chocolate over simmering water until combined.
- Next, unroll the cake and spread the chocolate cream filling all over. Roll up and spread more of the buttercream on the outside. Then use the 2cm cut slices, and cut them each in half. Create feet from these slices in between the caterpillar body rolls. Leave to chill.
- After 30 minutes, pour over the ganache coating and leave to set.
- Finally, decorate with M&Ms for colour and a create a confectionery face of your choice.