|600 g g||chicken breast chicken breast||
|700 g g||sweet potatoes sweet potato||
|peeled and cut into even-sized chunks|
|2||garlic cloves garlic cloves||
|400 g g||leeks leek||
|trimmed, sliced, washed and well drained|
|2||large carrots large carrot||
|peeled and cut into 2cm thick rounds|
|1 tbsp tbsp||flour flour||
|1 cubes cube||vegetable stock vegetable stock||
|made into 400ml|
|2 tsp tsp||mustard mustard||
|1 tbsp tbsp||oil oil||
|300 g g||frozen peas frozen peas||
Chicken and leek pie with sweet potato topping
Preparation time: 0:20 min
Pies topped with mash are always a hit, and this light recipe packed with leeks and a tasty sweet potato topping is sure to satisfy the family. A portion of the chicken & leek mix will be used for a dish later in the week, so this should be set aside and allowed to cool before freezing.
- In a large pot, boil the sweet potatoes in salted water on the hob until tender. Drain and leave to steam for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sweet potatoes back to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and add in a little butter if you like before mashing to a smooth consistency.
- Add the oil to a large non-stick pot or frying pan on a medium-high heat.
- Add the garlic and the chicken and cook for a few minutes. Remove from the pan, cover and set aside whilst you cook the vegetables.
- Add a little more oil if needed, and then add the onion and cook for a few minutes until translucent.
- Add the leeks and carrots and cook for a further 5 minutes until they soften.
- Cover with the stock, the mustard if using, and season well with black pepper.
- Add 2 tsp plain or flour or cornstarch to a small cup, pour in 2 tsp cold water and stir well.
- Stir this into the leek mix and mix well. Bring back up to heat for a minute to cook out the flour and the stock has thickened to a good consistency.
- Transfer the cooked chicken back into the pan and mix well.
- (Separate out ⅓ of the mix and set aside to cool - this will be used for a different dish another day).
- Transfer the remaining ⅔ chicken and leek mix into an ovenproof dish.
- Spread the sweet potato mash evenly over the top, and fork the top before placing in a preheated oven at 190c / 170c fan for 35 minutes until the top is golden and the pie is fully cooked through.
- Boil the peas whilst the pie is in the oven, and when ready, dish the meal up at the table.