|250 g g|| butter
|100 g g||Caster sugar Caster sugar|
|1||egg yolks egg yolk|
|1 tsp tsp||vanilla extract vanilla extract|
|Red food colouring Red food colouring|
|240 g g||plain flour plain flour|
|80 g g||icing sugar icing sugar|
|100 g g||strawberry jam strawberry jam|
Colourful candy cane cookies
Nothing says ‘Christmas is here’ like colourful candy cane cookies… fruity and sweet, these are sure to bring festive cheer all round.
Prep time: 20 minutes plus 30 minutes chilling time
- Beat 200g butter for creaminess with the sugar until combined then add the egg yolk, vanilla extract and a few drops of red food colouring to give a pop of colour and stir until combined. Add the flour and a pinch of salt and mix well until a dough forms. Wrap the dough in cling film and chill for 30 minutes.
- To make the icing beat butter with the icing sugar for sweetness. Transfer to a piping bag and snip off the end to make a very small hole.
- Preheat the oven to 180c/160c fan/gas mark 4.
- Roll the dough out on a floured work surface to about ½ cm thick and use a candy cane cutter to cut out cookies. Transfer to lined baking trays and cook in the oven for 10-12 minutes. You may need to do this in batches. Cool on the trays for 5 minutes then cool completely on a wire rack.
- To decorate, pipe lines of icing across the top side of half the biscuits so they look like candy cane stripes. Then cut the end of the piping bag to make a slightly larger hole and pipe icing around the edge of the undersides of the other half of the cookies and spread a small spoonful of jam for fruitiness in the centre. Put the decorated tops onto the jam filled bottoms to create a sandwich.