|2 tbsp tbsp||rapeseed oil rapeseed oil|
|0.5 tsp tsp||chilli flakes chilli flakes|
|2 tsp tsp||cumin cumin|
|2 tsp tsp||ground tumeric ground tumeric|
|200 g g||red lentils red lentil|
|400 g g||chopped tomatoes chopped tomatoes|
|1 bunches bunch|| coriander
(leaves and stalks separated)
|1 l l||vegetable stock vegetable stock|
(cut into small florets)
|0.5 bunches bunch|| spring onions
|3 tbsp tbsp|| Greek yoghurt
(plus extra to serve)
Crispy aubergine dhal
Enjoy this hearty, healthy meal with rice, flat bread or simply on its own, and make any leftovers go further the next day by stirring through another tin of chopped tomatoes and serving with steamed salmon fillets.
Swap the yoghurt for a swirl of coconut milk to make this dhal recipe vegan.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Season the aubergine and toss in half the oil, then roast for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile in the remaining oil, fry the onion, garlic and spices for 5 minutes to soften, throwing in the chilli flakes for extra kick. To add bulk to the dish, stir through red lentils and cook for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, stock and finely chopped coriander stalks.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add the broccoli and Greek yoghurt and simmer for 5 minutes, loosening with a little water if needed. Season to taste, then for added zing, stir through lime juice and a handful of coriander leaves.
- To serve, divide between bowls and top with another spoonful of Greek yoghurt, chopped spring onions, the remaining coriander and the diced aubergine for extra crispiness.