For the gingerbread
|60 g g||golden syrup golden syrup||
|60 g g||dark brown soft sugar dark brown soft sugar||
|1 tsp tsp||ground ginger ground ginger||
|0.5 tsp tsp||cinnamon cinnamon||
|75 g g||butter butter||
|175 g g||flour flour||
|plus extra for dusting|
|0.5 tsp tsp||baking soda baking soda||
For the terrine
|960 ml ml||vanilla ice cream vanilla ice cream||
|soft enough to scoop|
|50 g g||dark chocolate dark chocolate||
|125 g g||Salted Caramel Sauce Salted Caramel Sauce||
|75 g g||dark chocolate dark chocolate||
|75 g g||white chocolate white chocolate||
Gingerbread, dark chocolate and salted caramel ice cream terrine
Preparation time: 1:00 h
A dessert that’ll really wow your guests, this gingerbread, dark chocolate and salted caramel ice cream terrine can be made the day before, if you need to save time. When you’re ready to serve, try pairing with a glass of Cremant De Loire for an extra special flavour combination.
1. For the gingerbread, melt together the syrup, sugar, spices and zest in a pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the butter, then add the flour and bicarbonate of soda and bring together to form a dough. Set aside to rest for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150ºC fan/gas mark 3. Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment.
3. Roll the dough out gently on a lightly floured surface to 0.2cm thickness and stamp out 5cm star shapes - there should be enough dough for 30 biscuits. Bake for 12 minutes, leaving to cool on the trays. Once cool, roughly chop 8 gingerbread along with the chocolate for the terrine.
4. Line a 2lb loaf tin with a double layer of cling film, leaving an overhang. Press two thirds of a tub of ice cream into the tin and top with half the caramel sauce, chopped chocolate and gingerbread. Firm up in the freezer, then repeat the process and finish with a final layer of ice cream. Freeze for at least 4 hours, or overnight.
5. To decorate, melt the dark and white chocolate in separate bowls set over pans of simmering water. Drizzle 15 gingerbread with a little of the white and dark chocolate, chilling until set.
6. Turn the terrine out onto a plate or board, peeling off the cling film. Quickly drizzle the remaining white and dark chocolate over the terrine and top with the decorated gingerbread. Freeze until ready to serve.