For the soup
|4 handfuls handful|| kales
|1 tbsp tbsp||oil oil|
|2 sticks stick|| celery
(cored and chopped)
|950 ml ml||vegetable stock vegetable stock|
|2||bay leaves bay leaf|
|black pepper black pepper|
|1 tbsp tbsp||mixed seeds mixed seeds|
|1 - 2 tbsp tbsp||crème fraîche crème fraîche|
|1 pinches pinch||chilli flakes chilli flakes|
Kale and apple soup
This kale soup recipe gets an extra hit of sharpness from the chunks of apple, and makes a simple, hearty supper. Scale up the recipe for the perfect lunch leftovers. For the perfect wine pairing, enjoy with a glass of our Cimarosa Australian Chardonnay Colombard.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and gently sweat the onion, carrot and celery for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the garlic and apple to the pan and stir again.
- Pour in the stock, then add the bay leaves and seasoning. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the kale, cook for a further 5 minutes then remove from the heat.
- Carefully remove the bay leaves and blitz the soup with a stick blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning, if required, then return to the heat and bring back up to a gentle simmer.
- Meanwhile, place a dry frying pan over a medium heat and lightly toast the pumpkin seeds until they begin to pop.
- Divide the soup between bowls and top with a spoonful of crème fraîche. Sprinkle over the toasted seeds and garnish with a pinch of chilli flakes.