|1||Whole chicken Whole chicken|
(cut into quarters)
|2|| Celery Stalks
(cut in half)
|1 cloves clove|| garlic
|1 tsp tsp|| dried herbs
(e.g. oregano, thyme, mixed herbs )
|1 drizzle drizzle||oil oil|
|1 kg kg||baby potatoes baby potato|
|2 tsp tsp|| flour
(or corn starch)
|1|| sweetheart cabbages
(¾ head of sweetheart cabbage, finely sliced)
(season with butter)
Lemon and garlic roast chicken with sweetheart cabbage and baby potatoes
A mid-week roast can really set you up for the week’s meal planning and is easier to pull together than you think! Celery helps keep the meat moist and lemon adds a delicious summery flavour. The remaining chicken meat can be kept in the fridge and used for leftovers such as curries or fajitas (day 4), and the bones will make a delicious stock to make soup or risotto another day.
- Place the chicken into a large roasting tin or oven-proof dish.
- Place the celery stalks, garlic clove and lemon halvesto 3 x lemon quarters into the cavity.
- Season the chicken with the dried herbs and a generous sprinkling of salt & black pepper. Drizzle with a little oil and place on a low shelf in a preheated oven at 200c / 180c fan for 1 hour and 45 to 1 hour 50 minutes.
- While the chicken is roasting in the oven, you can prepare the vegetables. Scrub and boil the baby potatoes in salted water according to preference. Set aside.
- Once the chicken is cooked, remove it from the oven and leave it to rest for 5 to 10 minutes on a serving platter.
- You can place the cooked potatoes in the switched-off oven to warm them through before serving.
- Whilst the chicken is resting, rinse the sweetheart cabbage and lightly sauteé in a non-stick pan or wok for a few minutes until tender. Season with a little butter, salt and pepper if you like.
- For a quick gravy, in a small mug or cup add a little flour or corn starch to a few tablespoons of water. Stir until well mixed through and then add to the remaining juices in the roasting tin - bring up to a low heat and cook for a few minutes or two. You can pass the gravy through a sieve before serving if you like.
- Serve the chicken with the baby potatoes, sweetheart cabbage and gravy.