For the turkey with lemon and thyme
(Zested, then sliced in half (keep the zest and fruit))
|3 sprigs sprig|| thyme
(Leaves stripped from stalk)
|1||turkey crowns turkey crown|
|150 g g||salted butter salted butter|
For the parsnip and potato rosti
(peeled and grated)
(peeled and grated)
|50 g g|| butter
For the braised red cabbage with apple
|1|| red cabbages
(medium, finely shredded)
|1 inch inch|| ginger
|1 tsp tsp||cinnamon cinnamon|
|2|| red onions
|150 ml ml||vegetable stock vegetable stock|
|100 ml ml||balsamic vinegar balsamic vinegar|
|50 g g||sugar sugar|
Lemon & thyme Christmas turkey with parsnip & potato rosti & braised red cabbage with apple
Whether it’s a Christmas Day lunch, or one of those in-between meals over the festive period, try this lemon and thyme Christmas turkey recipe by influencer Melissa Thompson. Serve with two portions of your favourite vegetables.
1. Pre-heat oven to 180°C (gas mark 4).
2. Mix the butter, thyme leaves, lemon zest, garlic and salt and pepper together in a bowl.
3. Lift the turkey skin with your fingers to separate the skin from the flesh and gently push this butter mix underneath the turkey skin. If your turkey skin is too tight, make some small incisions half way up to ensure you cover it completely.
4. Lightly oil a tray and warm this up in the oven for 10 minutes.
5. Place turkey in the tray and cook for 1hr 40 mins, cover with foil and let rest for 20 mins before serving.
Potato and Parsnip Rosti
1. Place the peeled and grated potatoes into a tea towel and squeeze to remove any excess liquid.
2. Mix the potato with grated parsnip, butter, sage, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
3. Heat a small drop of oil in non stick pan on a medium heat.
4. Add a golf-ball sized spoonful of mixture to a frying pan and press down with a fish slice.
5. Turn after 8 minutes and cook on the other side for 8 minutes. Repeat for all mixture.
Braised Red Cabbage with Apple
1. Heat a non stick pan with a little oil on medium heat.
2. Add the cabbage, onion and garlic to the pan and fry until softened, stirring it often.
3. Finally, add ginger, apple, sugar, cinnamon, balsamic vinegar and stock. Bring this mixture to the boil, and simmer for 30 mins, stirring occasionally until liquid has evaporated.
4. Place in dish and serve whilst still warm.