|g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|225 g g||ground almonds ground almonds||
|1 tsp tsp||vanilla extract vanilla extract||
|1 tsp tsp||almond essence almond essence||
Making your own marzipan is quick and easy, and it can be pulled together using predominantly store cupboard ingredients - perfect for edible gifts, Easter baking and Christmas treats.
- Mix the icing sugar, caster sugar and almonds in a large bowl and add the vanilla and almond essence. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients.
- Beat the egg in a cup and pour a little into the bowl, mixing it into the dry ingredients using the tip of a knife.
- Squeeze over the lemon and add a little more, then mix again until the mixture begins to clump. At this point use your hands to bring it together, adding the remaining egg if required.
- Knead the marzipan paste just enough to ensure all the dry ingredients have been mixed in - if the mix still feels a little dry add more icing sugar to form the right consistency.
- Shape the marzipan into a ball and wrap in cling film, then store in the fridge until required.