Slow cooker pulled pork
| pork shoulder joint
pork shoulder joint|
|1 tbsp tbsp||brown sugar brown sugar|
|1 tsp tsp||garlic powder garlic powder|
|2 tsp tsp||paprika paprika|
(peeled and quartered)
(peeled and crushed)
|400 ml ml|| chicken stock
|6 tbsp tbsp||tomato sauce tomato sauce|
|6 tbsp tbsp||honey honey|
|3 tbsp tbsp||soy sauce soy sauce|
|3 tsp tsp||mustard mustard|
|1 tsp tsp|| Red chillies
|6||soft buns soft bun|
Pulled pork rolls with BBQ sauce
This pulled pork recipe is made in a slow cooker until it’s meltingly tender, but for a super speedy version simply make up a batch of the barbecue sauce and simmer with shredded leftover roast pork. Serve in soft buns loaded with coleslaw and extra sauce on the side, and match with a glass of Barossa Valley Shiraz.
- Begin by preparing the barbecue sauce. Combine all of the ingredients together in a small pan and simmer over a medium heat until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Meanwhile, mix the sugar, paprika and garlic powder together in a small bowl and rub it all over the pork joint. Arrange the onions and garlic in a layer across the bottom of the slow cooker pot and place the pork on top.
- Pour in the stock (over the onions, not meat, to avoid washing off the rub) and half of the barbecue sauce. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 6 hours, or until the pork is very tender.
- Once cooked, remove the pork from the cooking liquor and remove any fat. Shred the meat into strips using two forks and add to a saucepan along with half the leftover barbecue sauce.
- Strain off the cooking liquor into a jug, discarding the onions and garlic, and add a few tablespoons to the pork - the meat should be juicy and coated in sauce but not too runny.
- Split open the buns and scoop a generous mound of pulled pork onto each one. Drizzle over the remaining barbecue sauce and top with coleslaw to serve.