|3 tbsp tbsp||olive oil olive oil|
|40 g g||butter butter|
|2||red onions red onion|
|peeled and sliced|
|scrubbed, trimmed and grated|
|2 tbsp tbsp||light brown sugar light brown sugar|
|500 g g||tomato sauce tomato sauce|
|500 g g||baby spinach baby spinach|
|100 g g||ricotta ricotta|
|75 g g||crème fraîche crème fraîche|
|0.5||butternut squash butternut squash|
|peeled, deseeded and cubed (roughly 275g in weight)|
|2||sweet potatoes sweet potato|
|peeled and cubed (roughly 250g in weight)|
|12||lasgane sheets Lasagna sheet|
|125 g g||mozzarella mozzarella|
|drained and sliced|
|50 g g||mature cheddar mature cheddar|
|Green salad Green salad|
|black pepper black pepper|
This colourful, healthy lasagne makes a lovely midweek meal. For speedier prep, make the vegetable layers up to two days in advance and keep in the fridge.
- Begin by preparing the beetroot layer. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil with half the butter, add the red onions, beetroot and a tablespoon of water. Cook over a low heat for 15 - 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the sugar and 1 tablespoon water. Cook for a further 5 - 10 minutes over a low heat until sticky and soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool a little, then stir through a quarter of the jar of pasta sauce.
- For the spinach layer, heat half the spinach in a large saucepan with the remaining butter until wilted, then remove from the heat and stir through the remaining spinach to wilt in the heat of the pan
- When cool enough to handle, squeeze the excess water from the spinach, then chop and mix with the ricotta and crème fraîche and season.
- For the orange layer, boil the squash and sweet potatoes for 15 - 20 minutes. Drain, add a quarter of the jar of creamy tomato pasta bake sauce and mash together.
- Place the lasagne sheets in a pan of boiling, salted water with a tablespoon of olive oil and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water to prevent sticking.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 5.
- To assemble, spread the spinach and ricotta mixture in a baking dish. Arrange 4 lasagne sheets on top. Repeat with the squash and sweet potato layer and 4 more lasagne sheets, then add the beetroot and red onion layer. Top with the remaining lasagne sheets and cover with enough pasta sauce to cover the sheets.
- Scatter over the mozzarella slices and grated cheddar and bake for 30 - 35 minutes, until golden and bubbling. Serve hot with a green salad on the side.