|1||goose crowns goose crown||
|5 - 6kg|
For the goose
|1 tbsp tbsp||sunflower oil sunflower oil||
|peeled and quartered|
|6 pieces piece||celery celery||
|chopped in half|
|1 bunches bunch||thyme thyme||
|cored and cut|
|1 tbsp tbsp||olive oil olive oil||
|10 g g||light brown sugar light brown sugar||
|1 dash dash||lemon juice lemon juice||
For the gravy
|500 ml ml||chicken stock chicken stock||
|500 ml ml||dry cider dry cider||
|1 tbsp tbsp||light brown sugar light brown sugar||
|2 tbsp tbsp||flour flour||
|2 tbsp tbsp||butter butter||
Roast goose with caramelised apple
Preparation time: 0:20 min
A golden roasted goose makes a lovely alternative to Christmas as part of a Christmas meal. Serve with all your usual trimmings, plus caramelised apple and a cider gravy cut through the richness of the meat.
- Remove the goose from the fridge an hour before cooking. Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Cut the fat from the inside cavity and set aside. Prick the skin all over with a skewer and rub with the sunflower oil. Pop two quartered onions inside the bird and the rest into the roasting tin. Lay the celery ribs across the bottom of the tin and the goose on top. Stuff the cavity with the bay leaves and thyme and sprinkle the skin with salt.
- Cover the foil without touching the skin and put in the oven. Roast for 15 minutes per 500g, plus 30 minutes. Baste after an hour, and repeat after two hours of cooking, pouring 250ml of water into the pan before returning to the oven. When the bird has 30 minutes of cooking time remaining, remove the foil and return to the oven to brown. When the juices run clear and no pink remains, transfer the bird to a carving board to rest for 20 - 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the caramelised apples and gravy. Toss the apple wedges in the olive oil and sugar, bake in the oven for 25 - 30 minutes until soft and lightly golden, then squeeze over the lemon juice.
- For the gravy, pour the vegetables and juices from the pan and inside the bird into a large pan. Add the chicken stock and cider and skim off excess fat. Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 - 20 minutes. Add sugar and a little salt if necessary, then strain into a large pan.
- Mix the butter and flour together and whisk into the gravy, then thicken slightly over the heat.
- Carve the bird and serve with a portion of apples and gravy.