|2 tbsp tbsp||rapeseed oil rapeseed oil|
|0.5 tsp tsp||chilli flakes chilli flakes|
|2 tsp tsp||cumin cumin|
|2 tsp tsp||ground tumeric ground tumeric|
|200 g g||red lentils red lentil|
|400 g g||chopped tomatoes chopped tomatoes|
|1 bunches bunch||coriander coriander|
|leaves and stalks separated|
|1 l l||vegetable stock vegetable stock|
|cut into small florets|
|0.5 bunches bunch||spring onions spring onion|
|3 tbsp tbsp||Greek yoghurt Greek yoghurt|
|plus extra to serve|
Roasted aubergine dhal
Enjoy this hearty, healthy meal with rice, flat bread or simply on its own, and make any leftovers go further the next day by stirring through another tin of chopped tomatoes and serving with steamed salmon fillets.
Swap the yoghurt for a swirl of coconut milk to make this dhal recipe vegan.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Season the aubergine and toss in half the oil, then roast for 25 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Meanwhile, fry the onion, garlic, chilli and spices in the remaining oil for 5 minutes to soften. Stir through the lentils and cook for a few minutes, then add the tomatoes, stock and finely chopped coriander stalks.
- Simmer for 15 minutes until the lentils are tender. Add the broccoli and Greek yoghurt and simmer for 5 minutes, loosening with a little water if needed. Season to taste, then stir through lime juice and a handful of coriander leaves.
- Divide between bowls and top each with another spoonful of Greek yoghurt, the roasted aubergine, spring onions and remaining coriander to serve.