For the pastry
|250 g g||flour flour|
|125 g g||butter butter|
|chilled and cut into cubes|
|1 pinches pinch||salt salt|
|2 tbsp tbsp||water water|
For the filling
|peeled and roughly chopped|
|200 g g||cherry tomatos cherry tomato|
|1 tsp tsp||dried Provencal herbs dried Provencal herbs|
|75 g g||Parmesan Parmesan|
|100 g g||mozzarella mozzarella|
|cut into chunks|
|300 ml ml||double cream double cream|
|2 tbsp tbsp||basil basil|
|olive oil olive oil|
Roasted tomato and cheese quiche
Roasting the tomatoes first makes this quiche recipe taste extra special, and using two varieties of cheese ensure it is packed with flavour. If you’re cooking for vegetarians swap the Parmesan for mature cheddar.
Enjoy with a glass of easy-drinking white wine, such as our Mâcon Villages AOP Blanc.
- Begin by making the pastry. Sift the flour and salt into a bowl and add the butter, then rub the butter into the dry ingredients using your fingers until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add just enough water to bring together to form a dough, then roll into a ball, wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Dust a clean surface with flour and roll out the dough using short strokes, moving the dough a quarter turn with each roll until it’s roughly 5cm bigger than a 25cm tart tin.
- Dust the tart tin with flour and drape the pastry over the top, pushing it carefully into the edges. Place the tin in the fridge and chill for a further 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C/gas mark 4.
- Slice the tomatoes in half and place on a baking tray along with the shallots. Drizzle with olive oil and scatter over herbs, garlic and seasoning, then roast in the oven for 25.
- Line the tart case with baking paper and fill with ceramic baking beans (if you don't have any you can use dried beans instead). Add to the oven with the tomatoes for 20 minutes. After this time, remove the baking beans and paper and return the tart to the oven for a further 5 minutes until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs and cream together and add the basil and a little seasoning.
- Sprinkle the tart case with some of the grated cheese and arrange the tomatoes, shallots and mozzarella pieces evenly across it. Pour over the cream mixture and top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 20 - 25 minutes, or until set and golden. Leave to cool in the case, then remove and cut into portions.