|300 g g|| potatoes
(peeled and diced)
|250 g g||salmon fillets salmon fillet|
|250 g g|| haddock skin on
haddock skin on|
(or substitute with any other white fish)
|2 tbsp tbsp||double cream double cream|
|1 tsp tsp||English mustard English mustard|
(white part only, finely diced)
(peeled to remove string and finely diced)
|0.25 bunches bunch|| parsley
|vegetable oil vegetable oil|
|black pepper black pepper|
(cut into wedges)
|Tartare sauce Tartare sauce|
(or rocket if preferred)
Salmon and haddock fishcakes
This fishcake recipe makes a simple, comforting supper the whole family will love. If you’d rather keep things a little lighter swap the double cream for quark and bake the fishcakes for 10-15 minutes in the oven until golden.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°fan/gas mark 5.
- Line a baking tray with foil and place the haddock and salmon on it skin-side down. Roast the fish in the oven for 8-10 minutes, until moist and flaky.
- Allow to cool, then remove the skin and check the fish for bones. Place in a bowl and refrigerate until required.
- Strain any juices from the baking tray into a bowl and add the cream and mustard, mixing well until thoroughly combined. Refrigerate the cream mixture until required, adding any extra juices from the rested fish.
- Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Drain and leave to stream a little in the colander before crushing with a fork. Leave to rest for 4-5 minutes, until cool enough to handle.
- Whilst the potato is cooling heat a little oil in a pan and fry the shallot, leek and celery for 4-5 minutes, until soft but not coloured. Drain on kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- To assemble the fishcakes, combine the fish, potato, parsley and vegetables together in a large bowl and mix gently. Fold in the cream and mustard mix, seasoning generously with salt and black pepper. Shape into 4-8 cakes and chill until ready to cook.
- To cook, dust the cakes with flour and fry in a pan with a little oil for 4-5 minutes per side. Serve hot with tartare sauce, lemon wedges and a green salad on the side.