For the vegetables
|300 g g||flour flour||
|200 g g||sea salt sea salt||
|100 g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|2 tbsp tbsp||rosemary rosemary||
|2||egg whites egg white||
|100 - 150 ml ml||water water||
|500 g g||beetroot beetroot||
|500 g g||carrots carrot||
For the dressing
|3 tbsp tbsp||olive oil olive oil||
|1 tsp tsp||soft brown sugar soft brown sugar||
|1 tsp tsp||wholegrain mustard wholegrain mustard||
Salt-baked beetroot and carrots with mustard dressing
Make the most of seasonal vegetables with this vibrant Christmas side dish. Once you've learnt how to make a salt crust the technique can be applied to fish, chicken and other vegetables, too.
- Begin by making the salt crust. Stir together the flour, salt, sugar, rosemary and lemon zest. Pour in the egg whites and 100ml of water to make a fairly stiff dough. Add a little more water if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4
- Roll the dough to 5mm thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut dough and encase the vegetables individually. Transfer to a lined roasting tin and bake for 25 minutes. After this time, remove the carrots from the oven and continue roasting the beetroot for a further 20 minutes.
- Once cool enough to touch, crack the salt crust from each vegetable and scrape off the skins. Cut the beetroot into wedges and the carrots into long, diagonal slices.
- Mix the dressing ingredients together and pour into a small saucepan. Heat to warm though and dissolve the sugar, then pour over the vegetables and serve.