For the strudel
(peeled and cut into bite-sized chunks)
|50 g g||sultanas sultana|
|0.5 tsp tsp|| cinnamon
|0.5 tsp tsp|| ground ginger
|1 packs pack||ready rolled puff pastry ready rolled puff pastry|
|1 tsp tsp||whole milk whole milk|
|2 tbsp tbsp||sugar sugar|
|2 tbsp tbsp|| almonds
For the caramel sauce
|75 g g||butter butter|
|100 g g||light brown sugar light brown sugar|
|50 g g||golden syrup golden syrup|
|150 ml ml||double cream double cream|
| sea salt
Salted caramel and apple strudel
This delicious apple strudel makes an irresistible centrepiece for a special meal. It also includes an easy salted caramel recipe - perfect for whizzing up to drizzle over ice cream or cakes.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Grease a baking tray and remove the pastry from the fridge to allow it to come up to room temperature.
- Begin by preparing the caramel. Heat the butter, sugar and syrup together in a large heavy-based saucepan. Once melted, cook for 2 - 3 minutes then add the cream.
- Stir to combine, then add a large pinch of salt and swirl the caramel mixture together. Carefully taste the caramel, adding extra salt if required.
- Add the apple pieces to the caramel pan and mix until fully coated. Cook on a medium heat for 10 minutes, until the apple has softened but retains its shape.
- Once cooked, carefully remove the apple pieces from the caramel and set aside. Bring the caramel back to a simmer and cook until thick and syrupy, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Unroll the pastry and transfer to a greased baking tray with one of the long sides closest to you.
- Spoon the apple over the front half of the pastry, leaving a 4cm gap around the edge. Sprinkle over the raisins and spices (if using), then drizzle with 3tbsp of caramel.
- Roll the pastry up, tucking in the ends as you go, then brush the top with milk and sprinkle over almonds and sugar.
- Using the end of a sharp knife, score a few slashes in the pastry, then transfer to the oven and bake for 25 minutes until brown and crisp.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool for 5 minutes. While its cooling, gently reheat the leftover caramel. Slice the strudel into diagonal slices and serve with another drizzle of warm caramel.