|245 g g||Cumberland sausages Cumberland sausage||
|0.25 tsp tsp||paprika paprika||
|25 g g||water water||
|1 tsp tsp||English mustard English mustard||
|75 g g||breadcrumbs breadcrumbs||
|for deep frying|
This Scotch egg recipe does justice to one of Britain’s most beloved snacks. Serve hot, if you like, or leave to cool as the perfect picnic treat.
- Put 4 of the eggs into a pan, cover in cold water and place over a high heat. Bring up to the boil, then remove from the heat and leave the eggs to stand in the hot water for 3 minutes to finish cooking. After this time, place the eggs in a bowl of iced water and leave to cool for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the paprika, salt and pepper into the sausage meat - if the meat is too coarse, blitz it with the seasoning in a food processor along with a tablespoon of water. Once mixed, divide the sausage meat into 4 balls, each weighing roughly 60g.
- Flatten each sausage ball into a circle large enough to completely cover an egg - use wet hands to do this, or place the mixture between two sheets of cling film and use a rolling pin.
- Carefully peel the eggs, rinsing them under cold water to remove any shell pieces if required, then in the centre of each sausage circle and wrap tightly in the mixture until completely covered. Transfer to the fridge and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Line up 3 small bowls and fill the first with the flour and a little seasoning. Beat the remaining eggs in the second bowl and mix through the mustard, filling the third bowl with the breadcrumbs.
- Remove the Scotch eggs from the fridge and roll each one first in the flour, then the egg mixture, followed by the breadcrumbs. Once coated, return the eggs to the fridge until ready to cook.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/gas mark 5. Preheat a deep-fryer or pan of oil to 190°C.
- Remove the eggs from the fridge and roll again in the breadcrumb mixture to remove any damp patches. Reshape if required, then fry in batches for 2 minutes and arrange across a baking sheet.
- Finish the eggs off in the oven, baking for 8 minutes or until crisp and golden.