|80 g g||blanched hazelnuts blanched hazelnuts||
|100 g g||lardon lardon||
|20 g g||butter butter||
|2 tbsp tbsp||olive oil olive oil||
|shucked and cleaned, roe left on|
|1 tbsp tbsp||balsamic vinegar balsamic vinegar||
|100 g g||rocket rocket||
|20 g g||parsley parsley||
Seared scallops with pear, toasted hazelnut and rocket salad
This elegant seafood starter recipe works well as part of a dinner party menu, and is even light enough to be served as part of your main Christmas meal. With crispy bacon and crunchy hazelnuts scattered over scallops and pears, there's a wonderful balance of textures and flavours.
- Heat a large, non-stick frying pan and toast the hazelnuts for 2 - 3 minutes until golden, then remove and roughly chop.
- Wipe pan and add the lardons. Fry until golden and crisp, then remove from the pan and set aside.
- Put the butter and half a tablespoon of olive oil in the pan over a high heat. Once foaming, fry the scallops for a minute on each side until golden and crisp, but still tender.
- Remove the scallops and put the pear wedges into the pan. Fry for a minute, turning often, and remove.
- Pour the lemon juice in the pan and remove the pan from the heat. Add the remaining olive oil and vinegar and whisk to make a dressing.
- To serve, place a handful of rocket on each plate and top with 3 scallops per person. Add 4 wedges of pear, some lardons and drizzle on the dressing. Scatter over the parsley and hazelnuts and serve immediately.