|1 kg kg|| chicken drumsticks
|2 tbsp tbsp||oil oil|
|1 tbsp tbsp||flour flour|
(white part only, finely diced)
|1 sticks stick|| celery
|200 g g||pancetta pancetta|
|350 ml ml||white wine white wine|
|400 ml ml||chicken stock chicken stock|
|225 g g||frozen peas frozen peas|
|10 g g|| mint
|10 g g|| parsley
|black pepper black pepper|
Slow-cooked chicken casserole with pancetta, peas and mint
There’s a lovely contrast between the crisp, golden skin and the tender, juicy meat in this slow-cooked chicken casserole recipe, and the addition of fresh mint and peas give it a wonderfully fresh flavour. Serve with crushed new potatoes, crunchy bread or fluffy white rice and pair with a glass of our award-winning Chianti.
- Preheat the oven to 150°C/130°C fan/gas mark 2.
- Place a casserole dish over a medium heat and add the oil to heat up. Dust the chicken in the flour, then add to the pan and fry for 8 minutes until golden all over.
- Remove from the pan, reduce the heat and add the remaining oil, onions, leek and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, until soft, then add the pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes on a slightly higher heat.
- Stir in the garlic and wine, increasing the heat for a couple of minutes until the wine has reduced by two thirds.
- Add the stock, stir well and bring back up to the boil, seasoning generously with black pepper. Return the chicken to the pan, arranging the pieces skin-side up across the dish.
- Place in the oven and cook for 80 minutes, keeping an eye on the liquid level and topping up with a little extra stock if required.
- After this time, add the peas straight from the freezer and increase the heat to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6. Remove the lid from the dish and return to the oven uncovered to brown the skin.
- Stir in the herbs and allow the casserole to sit for 5 minutes before dividing between bowls to serve.