|100 ml ml||dry cider dry cider|
|75 ml ml||apple juice apple juice|
|7 g g||dried yeast dried yeast|
|50 g g||demerara sugar demerara sugar|
|50 g g||butter butter|
(peeled, cored and quartered)
|150 g g||frozen berries frozen berries|
(juice and zest)
|80 g g||sultanas sultana|
|2||Earl Grey tea bags Earl Grey tea bag|
|45 g g||icing sugar icing sugar|
|45 g g||demerara sugar demerara sugar|
|45 g g||ground almonds ground almonds|
|40 g g||blanched hazelnuts blanched hazelnuts|
|45 g g||butter butter|
|45 g g||flour flour|
|1 pinches pinch||salt salt|
|ice cream ice cream|
Slow cooker crumble with apples and berries
This apple crumble recipe is a fantastic slow cooker dessert that can be simmering away all morning while you get on with your weekend. To make it even easier, prepare the crumble topping in advance and simply sprinkle over the fruit just before serving.
- Heat the apple juice until warmed through, then add to a bowl with the cider, yeast, sultanas and tea bags. Set aside and leave to infuse for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat the slow cooker on its highest setting, if required.
- Add the sugar and butter to the slow cooker, whisking together to combine as the butter melts. Add the apples and stir to coat in the sugar mixture, then push to one side and pour in the frozen berries.
- Remove the teabags from the mixture, squeeze out any excess liquid and discard. Pour the mixture over the apples and berries, adding a splash of brandy if desired, and cook for 2 hours on high or 4 hours on low.
- Meanwhile, prepare the crumble topping. Preheat the oven to 160°C/140°C/gas mark
- Mix the sugar, nuts, butter, flour and salt together in a bowl to form a breadcrumb-like mixture, then spread out across a baking tray. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, or until golden and crisp, then turn off the heat and leave to cool inside the oven. If preparing in advance, store in an airtight container once cool.
- Once the crumble has finished cooking mix together the berries and apple to combine, seasoning to taste with lemon juice. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with a very thin layer of the crumble mix. Set aside and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- To serve, spoon over the rest of the crunchy crumble and grate over the lemon zest. Serve warm with ice cream on the side.