For the beans
|1 sprigs sprig|| rosemary
(leaves picked and finely chopped)
|100 g g||smoked bacon lardon smoked bacon lardon|
|1 pinches pinch||brown sugar brown sugar|
|1 tsp tsp||paprika paprika|
|3 tins tin|| butter beans
|1 cartons carton||tomato passata tomato passata|
|black pepper black pepper|
|olive oil olive oil|
|2 sprigs sprig|| rosemary
(leaves picked and roughly chopped)
Smoky homemade baked beans
Make your own homemade smoky baked beans for filling midweek meals or tasty brunches. Served with grilled sausages, or spoon over toasted bread and top with grated cheese.
- Add a dash of oil to a large saucepan and place over a medium heat. Fry the onion and garlic and bacon for smokiness for 3 - 5 minutes, then add the rosemary, paprika for kick and a pinch of sugar for sweetness.
- Cook for a little longer, stirring well until combined, then add the beans for bulk and passata to the pan. Stir again, seasoning with salt, pepper and more paprika to taste.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for half an hour, or until thickened into a rich sauce. Alternatively, bake in the oven in a casserole dish for 30 - 40 minutes at 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- 30 minutes before serving, arrange the sausages across a baking tray lined with foil. Prick with a fork and bake for 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Divide the beans between bowls and top with the cooked sausages and a pinch of chopped rosemary.