|110 g g||walnuts walnut|
|0.5 tbsp tbsp||vegetable oil vegetable oil|
(very finely diced)
|1 tbsp tbsp||paprika paprika|
|1 tbsp tbsp||korma spice mix korma spice mix|
|1 tbsp tbsp||brown sugar brown sugar|
|1 tins tin|| chickpeas
(drained and washed)
|1 tins tin|| butter beans
(drained and washed)
|140 g g|| rice
|20 g g|| breadcrumbs
|3 tbsp tbsp|| chili sauce
(plus extra to serve)
|black pepper black pepper|
|4||Brioche Burger Buns Brioche Burger Bun|
|0.5|| iceberg lettuces
|1|| red onions
(cut into thin disks)
|8 slices slice||pickles pickle|
Smoky vegan burgers
These tasty vegan burgers are full of flavour, making a great barbecue offering that everyone can enjoy. If you’re also cooking meat items ensure you do so on a separate side of the barbecue.
Enjoy with a glass of our Romanian Pinot Noir.
- Place a pan over a medium heat and add the walnuts. Toast for 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently until fragrant, then pour onto a plate and leave to cool.
- Add the oil to the same pan and fry the onion until soft but not coloured, seasoning well with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and cool in the fridge until very cold.
- Once the walnuts are cool, add to a blender along with the spices, seasoning and sugar and blitz to form to a fine breadcrumb-like texture.
- In a large mixing bowl mash the chickpeas and butter beans and mash with a fork and add the cooked rice, walnut mixture, onion, breadcrumbs and chipotle sauce and mix together. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Divide the burger mixture into 4 balls, each weighing roughly 200g, and shape into patties with your hands. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes until ready to cook.
- To cook, season each side with salt and cook the burgers on a medium-hot barbecue for 2 -3 minutes on each side, until golden and piping hot throughout - if they’re colouring too much on the barbecue finish cooking in a hot oven.
- Meanwhile, toast the buns and spread over more chipotle sauce, ketchup or barbecue sauce. Layer up the salad and top each one with a burger, a little more salad and the lid of the bun.