|3 tbsp tbsp||soy sauce soy sauce|
|3 tsp tsp||honey honey|
|350 g g||sweet potatoes sweet potato|
|peeled and cut into wedges|
|15 g g||ginger ginger|
|peeled and grated|
|300 ml ml||water water|
|8||spring onions spring onion|
|chopped on the diagonal|
|20 g g||coriander coriander|
|olive oil olive oil|
|black pepper black pepper|
Soy-roasted aubergine with sweet potato wedges
The sticky soy marinade works perfectly with the spongy texture of the aubergine in this tasty dish. Served with sweet potato wedges, it’s a colourful and filling vegetarian meal.
Enjoy with a glass of Rioja Crianza for the perfect wine pairing.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C /180°C fan/gas mark 6.
- Mix the soy sauce and honey together in a bowl and whisk.
- Peel the aubergine, slice into discs and sprinkle with salt. Arrange the discs across a rack and leave to rest for 15 minutes to draw out some water.
- Meanwhile, put the sweet potato wedges into a baking tin and drizzle with a little oil. Add the garlic and ginger and toss the wedges to ensure each one is covered. Sprinkle a little salt over the potatoes, pour in the water and bake for 35 minutes.
- Remove the aubergines from the rack and transfer to a bow. Mix the soy and honey together again to combine, then pour over the aubergine and set aside to marinate while the potatoes finish cooking.
- Remove the aubergines and set aside. Take the wedges out of the oven and pour the leftover marinade over the top. Add the spring onions, shake a little and return to the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the aubergine. Place a frying pan over a medium-high heat and add a dash of oil. Fry the aubergine discs for a 3 - 4 minutes on each side, until golden and soft.
- Remove the wedges from the oven and add a splash of water, if required, to loosen everything. Stir in half the coriander and a little black pepper.
- To serve, divide the aubergine and wedges between plates. Spoon over the leftover marinade and garnish with the remaining coriander.