Chermoula is a Moroccan sauce combining herbs, oil and spices. It makes a great vegan pesto alternative, a marinade for meats, or, as in this colourful couscous salad recipe, as a tangy dressing. Add a little chilli to the chermoula for heat, if you like.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C/200°C fan/gas mark 7.
- Put the paprika, dried garlic, rosemary and olive oil and mix to form a paste.
- Add the squash, courgette and red onion to the bowl, tossing until the vegetables have been evenly coated in the paste. Arrange the vegetables across a roasting tray and cook for 30 minutes, turning halfway through, until the vegetables are soft and charred.
- Meanwhile, prepare the chermoula sauce. Combine the lemon juice (from the zested lemon), olive oil, garlic, coriander and seasoning in a blender and blitz until smooth. Adjust the seasoning to taste and set aside.
- Cook the couscous according to packet instructions and, once ready, fluffed up with a fork. Mix the lemon zest and chopped parlsey through the couscous, seasoning to taste.
- To serve, toss the roasted vegetables into the couscous and divide between plates. Drizzle over the chermoula sauce and serve with warm pitta bread and a green salad on the side.