Vanilla sponge cakes
|150 g g||self-raising flour self-raising flour||
|150 g g||icing sugar icing sugar||
|150 g g||baking fat baking fat||
|1 tbsp tbsp||whole milk whole milk||
|1 tsp tsp||baking powder baking powder||
|1 tsp tsp||vanilla extract vanilla extract||
|250 g g||strawberries strawberry||
|1 tbsp tbsp||sugar sugar||
|icing or caster sugar|
|1.5 tbsp tbsp||Peyton’s Fruit Cup Peyton’s Fruit Cup||
|300 ml ml||double cream double cream||
|1 tbsp tbsp||icing sugar icing sugar||
Strawberry cream cakes with Peyton’s Fruit Cup
A boozy twist on a classic strawberry cream cake recipe, these pretty fairy cakes are filled with strawberries marinated in Peyton’s Fruit Cup before being topped with whipped cream and even more strawberries. The perfect sweet treat to celebrate Wimbledon season!
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C/gas mark 5. Fill a bun tin with paper cases.
- For the sponge cake, sift the flour into a mixing bowl and add the remaining ingredients. Mix using an electric whisk or food mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Using a teaspoon, divide the mixture evenly between the cake cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes until golden and springy to the touch.
- Meanwhile, prepare the marinated strawberries. Dice the strawberries into small pieces and transfer to a deep dish or bowl. Sprinkle the sugar over the top, then add the Peyton’s and mix well until evenly coated. Cover the bowl with cling film and set aside while the cakes are cooking.
- Once the cakes are cooked, remove the cakes from the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Pour the cream into a food mixer or larger bowl and add the sugar. Whisk for 3-5 minutes, until stiff. Transfer into a piping bag (or freezer bag with the corner snipped) and chill until required.
- To assemble the cakes, use the tip of a sharp knife to carefully cut a circle from the top of each cake and fill the gap with marinated strawberries, pressing them down with the back of a spoon. Spoon over a little extra juice from the bowl for a stronger Peyton’s flavour.
- Pipe a generous quantity of cream on top of the marinated strawberries, creating an even mound on top. Garnish each cake with two strawberry quarters, arranged on top of the cream to look like wings.