|1 splashes splash||olive oil olive oil||
|1 splashes splash||soy sauce soy sauce||
|1||beef stock beef stock||
|vegetable or beef, dissolved in a pint of boiling water|
|1 tbsp tbsp||tomato purée tomato purée||
|medium in size|
|50 g g||cheddar cheddar||
|800 g g||tomatoes tomato||
|1 tsp tsp||dried basil dried basil||
|1 handfuls handful||basil basil||
Tomato aubergine bake
Preparation time: 0:30 min
October's My Lidl community recipe of the month is a Tomato aubergine bake created by our community member, Shay. This warm, rich and versatile bake is perfect for this season and can be served on its own, with meat, salad, hearty vegetables or dipped with garlic bread. As an option, try adding 150ml of red wine, and 250g of finely chopped tomatoes for extra juiciness.
- Slice the aubergine into medium chunks and place in a saucepan full of your boiling stock, cover with the lid. Bring back to the boil and simmer gently for around 3 mins. Don’t over soften it. Drain and set aside.
- Add olive oil to a saucepan, and lightly fry onion and garlic, until softened. Add tin tomatoes, bring to the boil. Then add tomato purée and a splash of soy sauce. Lower the heat, add basil and seasoning. Simmer until reduced.
- Grab your individual pot, and start your layers, starting with a small amount of the tomato sauce mixture. Top that with slices of aubergine, then a thicker layer of tomato sauce. Then sliced mozzarella together with the cheddar. Repeat the layers, finishing with sliced mozzarella.
- Oven cook on 200°C/180°C fan/ 6 gas for 15-20 minutes until bubbling and the mozzarella is golden.
- Add fresh basil to the top and serve.