For the risotto
|0.5||butternut squash butternut squash||
|peeled and diced into chunks|
|200 g g||chestnut mushrooms chestnut mushroom||
|300 g g||risotto rice risotto rice||
|1.25 l l||vegetable stock vegetable stock||
|0.75 bunches bunch||sage sage||
|leaves picked and chopped|
|olive oil olive oil||
|sea salt sea salt||
|black pepper black pepper||
|50 g g||butter butter||
|1||stale ciabatta rolls stale ciabatta roll||
|shredded into medium-fine breadcrumbs|
|50 g g||dried cranberries dried cranberry||
|zest and juice|
|75 g g||Stilton Stilton||
|0.25 bunches bunch||sage sage||
|truffle oil truffle oil||
Winter vegetable risotto with brown butter breadcrumbs
Keep any Visiting Vegetarians happy with Billy and Jack's vibrant vegetable risotto, topped with a luxurious garnish of Stilton, truffle oil and rich brown butter breadcrumbs. They say: 'If you don't eat meat, or fancy a break from turkey, then this is our gift to you. Stuffed full of big Christmas flavours, it's a real treat!'. If you have any leftovers, roll into small balls and push a cube of blue cheese into the centre. Fry until crispy and serve with rocket for a light lunch.
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/180ºC fan/gas mark 6.
- Arrange the butternut squash chunks across a baking tray and drizzle with oil. Season well, then roast for 40 minutes until golden. Set aside.
- Add a dash of oil to a pan and sauté the garlic and onion until translucent, seasoning generously. Add the mushrooms and cook until the water is released and they begin to brown.
- Place the risotto rice into the pan and allow to toast a little, then add a ladle of the stock and simmer, stirring continuously. Once the liquid has almost all been absorbed add another ladleful of stock, repeating this process until the liquid has been added and the rice has cooked.
- In another pan, heat the butter over a medium heat until it begins to brown. Add the breadcrumbs and cook until golden, then add the cranberries and set aside.
- Stir the butternut squash, chopped sage, lemon zest and juice into the risotto.
- To serve, divide between 4 bowls, crumble over the Stilton and drizzle with the truffle oil. Top with the bread crumbs, garnishing with the extra sage leaves.